Queen Rania of Jordan argued the western world is “complicit” in the casualties in Gaza, pointing to the seemingly widespread support of Israel in its fight against militant group Hamas following the group’s bloody attack against the Jewish State earlier this month.
“This is the first time in modern history that there is such human suffering and the world is not even calling for a cease-fire,” Rania said in an interview with CNN. “So the silence is deafening and to many in our religion, it makes the western world complicit…through their support and through the cover that they give Israel that it’s just right to defend itself.”
Calling the western world’s support of Israel a “glaring double standard,” Rania, who is of Palestinian descent herself, said many in the Arab world perceive the support as “aiding and abetting” the mass killings of civilians in Gaza.
Rania’s criticism of the western world’s reaction comes amid Israel’s bombardment of Gaza in response to Hamas’s surprise attack on Israel earlier this month that killed over 1,400 people, including hundreds of civilians.
Israel has vowed to destroy Hamas, which is recognized as a terrorist organization by the U.S. and several other countries, and has since launched hundreds of air strikes into Gaza and cut off the territory’s food, water, medicine and fuel supply.
The United States has largely supported Israel’s pledge to eliminate Hamas, which controls Gaza, in response to the attacks, drawing a parallel to America’s war on terror after the 9/11 attacks.
“The world immediately and unequivocally stood by Israel and its right to defend itself and condemned the attacks that happened,” Rania said. “But when we look, we’re seeing the last couple of weeks, we haven’t…we’re seeing silence in the world. Countries that are just expressing concern or acknowledging the causalities, but always with the preface of declaration of support for Israel.”
Over 5,700 Palestinians in besieged Gaza have been killed in the conflict, including over 2,300 children, 1,200 women and 295 elderly people, according to the Gaza Health Ministry. Over 16,200 are wounded as hospitals warn of collapse in the wake of low supplies, Gaza officials said Tuesday.
Meanwhile, over 1 million Palestinians were ordered to flee their homes in the north and head south in the wake of a potential ground attack by Israeli forces.
The rising deaths of Gaza civilians coupled with a quickly dwindling supply of basic resources have sparked calls for a cease-fire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza.
While vowing unwavering support to Israel, Biden has also addressed the deepening humanitarian crisis and announced a U.S.-brokered deal while in Tel Aviv last week that allowed for a small shipment of aid to enter Gaza.
Two aid convoys carrying food, water, and medical supplies were permitted to enter Gaza over the weekend using the Rafah crossing with Egypt, though humanitarian leaders have stressed more aid is needed.
Copyright 2023 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.